• Users Online: 34
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2021  |  Volume : 4  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 32-35

Epidemiology of cervical spine injury in Northern India: A retrospective study


Department of Orthopaedics, PGIMER, Chandigarh, India

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Amit Kumar Salaria
Department of Orthopaedics, PGIMER, Sector -12, Chandigarh - 160 012
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/jodp.jodp_3_21

Rights and Permissions

Background: The epidemiology of cervical spine injuries in trauma patients of Northern India is largely unknown. Study Design: Retrospective study. Objectives: To find out the epidemiology and demographic factors associated with patients of traumatic cervical spinal injury presented to a level 1 trauma center. Patients and Methods: The study sample includes patients with cervical spine injury admitted to our level one trauma centre from the period of July 2018 to June 2019. Those patients who succumbed to their injuries due to various reasons before imaging or brought dead having suspected cervical spine injury were excluded from the study. Results: During the study period, 83 patients having cervical spine injury were admitted and treated. Out of 83, 75.9% (63) were male and the remaining 24.1% (20) were female. The most common mode of injury was fall from height (66.3%) followed by road traffic accidents (24%). About 64% of the patient population belonged to rural areas. The most affected age group in this study was 20–39 years. The most common associated injury is Extremities fracture (9.6%) followed by head injury (8.4%). C5C6 was the most common level and 69.9% underwent surgery. Pressure sore was presented in 12% of cases. Conclusion: The epidemiology of cervical spine injury in Northern India is different from developed countries. In the present study, the most common cause of cervical spine injury was fall from height followed by motor vehicle accidents. Proper awareness program, educating people, national policymaking, and involvement of NGOs and training primary health care workers will help in reducing the incidence of cervical spine injuries in this region


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed361    
    Printed10    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded2    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal